For the tomato salsa
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 425g/15oz small vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- large handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
For the chicken fajitas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 450g/1lb chicken breasts, skinned and cut into thin strips
- pinch paprika
- pinch mild chilli powder
- pinch cumin
- pinch dried oregano
- 4 soft wholemeal tortillas
- ½ iceberg lettuce, thinly shredded
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
For the salsa, combine the onion, tomatoes, garlic and coriander in a bowl. Season with pepper. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
For the chicken, heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add the onion and peppers and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken, paprika, chilli powder, cumin and oregano and cook for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and warm them in the oven for 5 minutes.
Spoon one-quarter of the chicken mixture into the centre of each tortilla, add a couple of tablespoons of salsa and some shredded lettuce. Roll up and serve warm.