We know it’s going to be difficult to cut down on your alcohol intake, that’s why we’ve come up with some tips & tricks to help you!
- If you fancy a cocktail why not swap it for a mocktail!
- Try to set a budget when you go out drinking, that way you’re monitoring what you drink and might be able to save some money
- Let your family and friends know, they’ll be able to help and support you on your journey
- Make smaller drinks compared to your regular measure
- Download the free Drinks Free App, you can track your drink-free days and track your progress
Benefits of drinking less alcohol
Short term benefits
- You can say goodbye to hangovers, instead of feeling sick and tired in the mornings you’ll feel refreshed and ready for the day
- Heavy drinking interferes with chemicals in your brain that are key for us to have good mental health. So even though drinking may feel like it’s relaxing it, it’s not.
- You’ll have more energy to do things you love doing and will be able to sleep better
- Alcohol dehydrates your body leaving your skin looking dull, so by cutting down your alcohol intake you’ll be left with brighter skin
- You could lose some weight, alcohol contains a lot of calories, so by cutting down you could increase your chance of losing some weight
Long term benefits
Drinking alcohol excessively can lead to a number of serious health conditions, but by cutting down your intake you could benefit from decreasing your chances. You’re less like to develop:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Sexual disfunction
- Liver disease
- Gut problems